BOE Member - Renae Hansen

Renae Hansen
BOE Member
Position: 6C
Term: January 2018 - December 2022
“I am a fifth generation Berryton/Shawnee Heights area resident. My family moved here around 1854. My grandfather (John C. '26) graduated from Berryton High School as well as both of my parents (John '54 and Linda '60). I am an alum of Berryton Grade School and a 1980 graduate of Shawnee Heights High School. I participated in 4-H, band, choir, theater, debate, dance team, basketball, and track while attending Shawnee Heights schools. I grew up on a farm in the Richland area now considered Berryton where we had row crops and raised hogs. I graduated from Kansas State University with a Bachelor of Science in Business majoring in Accounting in 1984. My husband and I spent 4 years in Arizona while he was in the regular Air Force at Luke Air Force Base. We came back to Berryton to educate our children in this district. My husband took a job with 190th Air Refueling Wing where he is retired and now works for the VA hospital system. I studied Elementary Education at Washburn in the late 1990s and then began working for the Kansas Legislature in 2002. While there I have worked for senators, representatives, and chairman of both the senate and house of representatives. Currently, I work for the legislature interviewing, hiring, placing and training the legislative session assistants and committee assistants. I help them traverse, and problem solve during session to make the process as smooth as we can for the legislators. During that time I also received my Masters in Business Administration from Baker University in 2011. I have two children who are also Shawnee Heights graduates Leshia 2004 and Drew 2009. Both were Putnam Scholars to K-State and candidates for the Kassebaum scholarship. That success has so much to do with the fundamental education they received here at Shawnee Heights. They both have gone on to continue their studies: Leshia in public health and Drew in Opera.


-->
In my family of origin, public education has always been a goal for each generation. As a family, we strive to help the next generation improve on their education. The reason why I serve on the board in the area I call home is because education is one of the highest pursuits one can strive for and I hope to help contribute to this community that has meant so much to my family. I also believe teaching is one of the highest callings an individual can be called to pursue. My goal is to always keep in mind the students, teachers, and community as we as the board are prudent in the expenditures of public funds. I appreciate that the community has put their trust in me to help make these decisions."

Comments

Popular Posts